Monday, September 7, 2020

"Tales from the Darkside" TV Series

"Tales from the Darkside" is an anthology TV series created by the one & only George A. Romero that ran for five seasons between 1983-1988.

Introduction
"Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
But...there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real, but not as brightly lit...a dark side."
Whenever I heard those words, I knew it was time for "Darkside" & I'd run down the hallway to watch it with my father! (I was 13 when it first aired & I graduated High School during it's last season.)

Premise:
Each episode ran about 22 minutes without commercials. Each episode had different themes such as horror, science fiction or fantasy. 
Contributing writers for the stories had amongst their ranks such giants as Harlem Ellison, Robert Bloch & Stephen King.
The stories range in tone as well, from pure horror to dark humor.

2016 DVD Complete Series
I picked up the CBS/Paramount 12 disc box set that contains all episodes plus two unreleased ones.
What I don't understand is that some of the episodes are edited from their original broadcast AND the music has been changed! Only since the VHS releases in the 80's are unedited in some way. I mean, why? Some sort of licensing issues or something? I don't know & I can't seem to find an answer to that question.

Special Features
1 - Audio commentary by Executive Producer George Romero.
2 - "On Air with George Romero" Featurette.
3 - Bonus episodes: "Akbar's Daughter" and "Attic Suite"

4:3 aspect ratio, Mono Sound, Running Time: 32 hours, 37 minutes.

"Darkside" is a great addition to any horror hounds library. Especially if you love practical effects!


No comments:

Post a Comment